Sunday, January 9, 2011

Guest Bedroom project

1830's turned acorn post bed possibly made in Alabama

After living in my home for a year I'm trying to turn my junk room into a lovely Guest bedroom so that my friends from all around the world can come and experience Deep South Southern hospitality!  I would like to furnish the room with upscale Southern made Country pieces. I looking at a nice 1830's turned acorn post bed possibly made in  Alabama. And a very nice cherry side table with nicely turned legs also from the 1830's.  I would like to mix theses late Federal pieces with Mahogany Empire chest of drawers and  Empire saber leg chairs.

Detail of the turned acorn post

The headboard of the bed has a rolling pin said to be used to roll out the lumps in the Spanish Moss Mattresses of the time

Cherry side table with nicely turned legs

I thinking about painting the walls of the room gray with a ivory enamel trim on wood work. I think the gray will go well with the pink of the two windows hung with Moiré silk Pompadour pink curtains. Other fabrics I might use would be a 18th century style French silk Scalamandre lampas with light blue background with sprigs of flowers maybe for pillows and a iron-red and off white Toile I have had forever to cover some of the chairs to bring the room back to a upscale Country look.  

Raccoon Hollow


"We just got back from France, where I couldn't help noticing that everything is painted what I call Avignon taupe — that flaxy natural color that's a little on the gray side." -Gerrie Bremermann

Pictured, Benjamin Moore's Raccoon Hollow 978


Light Blue


"It works well for bedrooms, bathrooms, and especially work spaces, because it's a powerful yet gentle mediator, bringing calm to all that clutter." -Susan Ferrier

Pictured, Farrow & Ball's Light Blue 22
 
 
The Moiré silk Pompadour pink curtains and 18th century style French silk Scalamandre lampas

Iron-red and off white Toile

One of my early 19th entury Federal mirrors I might use

Now painted gray this Federal mirror will work well in the room

5 comments:

  1. Lovely! It seems the kitty approves as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the paint colours! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just noticed that I have the same toile fabric! Yay! I'm as cool as Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ cieldequimper there are so many gray colors to chose from but I like theses two. @ Divine Theatre you are way cool. I bought ten yards of this in the 90's and have not done anything with it. I was suppose to go in my French Quarter bedroom then a bath. Now my guest bedroom.

    ReplyDelete