Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Antique shopping in Houston, Texas!

I got this circa 1810 English Regency creamware shell shaped dish from a Texas antique shop a month ago for $35. The yellow and brown border design is very unusual and rare!  


The last weekend of September I was invited to Texas for a long weekend by a friend to show my Folk artwork at the Smither Park Grand Opening Celebration. Houston's first folk art-inspired green space, dedicated to Stephanie and John Smither, avid and celebrated collectors of visionary and self-taught art. Smither Park took six years and nearly 300 artists to complete, and is a public mosaic masterpiece. We had a wonderful time! This was the first time I step foot on Texas soil other then the airport going to France! 

At the end of the weekend it was time to get some museums in and some antiquing! We went to some thrift stores and I was surprised to find New Orleans and Deep South type items for just a few dollars! I hit the New Orleans thrift stores up all the time but in New Orleans there is over 100 people looking for the same thing I'm looking for! So it's hard to find anything good, this seem not to be the case in Houston, Texas!  I went to one upscale antique mall and got some nice pieces! I had to watch my spending as I was leaving for France in a week for a month! But I look forward to visiting the great state of Texas again on the hunt for fine antebellum antiques! 



The tag says Shell dish creamware, yellow border with brown beetle like fruit circa 1795. I feel like it is more like 1810 then late 18th century. 




 Thrift store find a nice mid 19th century etched flint glass wine goblet $2.


I bought this Chinese vase at a charity shop in Houston, Texas for $7. I put it back and almost did not buy it but picked it up again because I thought it was great. Plus I went to the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens after buying it and saw similar vases in the museum. I'm no expert on Chinese porcelain. I asked the experts and was told it is a Kangxi 1662-1722 period vase! 

 Qing dynasty porcelain vase. 

Qing dynasty porcelain vase. 

Qing dynasty porcelain vase. 



Large 1830's Old Paris porcelain Gothic Revival charger purchased from a Antique shop for $75.00 after a 20% discount. 

Two late 18th century early 19th century olive bottles! The smaller bottle I got from a collection in the French quarter this summer the larger one from a antique shop in Houston for $6. 



Early 19th century Coin Silver forks and spoons were $14.00 in a thrift store! 

My English Regency creamware shell shaped dish with candy in it I brought back from France! The antique silk scarf was a gift from a French friend and belong to her Great-grand father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment