Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Today's Purchases part 1

All of this beauty for just six bucks

The 1820’s Classical Old Paris or American Tucker porcelain pierced basket was on the $1 dollar table because it had a piece missing out of the back. The gold leaf acanthus scroll bracket was $5 dollars.  


The first weekend of November I was up and ready to go at 6:00am. To go where you ask? Where I can always be found the first weekend of the month, at the monthly Antiques estate sale I attend. The world of antiques is extremely exciting to me as has always been, ever since I was a little child I gravitated to something old. I love talking to the Elders in my family about the “olden days”.




I was lucky that I had a chance to know my Great-grandmother most of my life and to hear her stories of times passed . She was born in 1917. As far back as I can remember I dragged my parents to Antique shops and I visited Historic House museums. I remember as a kid after visiting such museums, imagining myself living in a Historic house decorated with period antiques.



At the age of 8 I was in our local library in Mobile, Alabama studying books about antiques instead of playing with other kids. For a Antique Dealer and collector most will tell you it is the thrill of the hunt in finding your next treasure. The morning of the sale my adrenalin was pumping in excitement of not knowing what I might find. I was in line 20 min before opening at 8:00pm. I had a very good spot close to the door.



Finely the doors open and it was a mad rush in. I had to be mindful not to knock over a Elderly lady in a wheelchair in front of me. You never know until you get to one but this was a good sale.



I bought this basket as 1820’s Old Paris porcelain but after I tuck it home I noticed that the corners on the base were turned up warped, a trademark of A early American factory in Philadelphia, The Tucker porcelain factory that was in operation the same time as the piece was made.

I love the Neoclassical Laurel leaf motif elegantly painted on the basket   

1820’s Old Paris porcelain or American Tucker factory basket

1820’s Old Paris porcelain or American Tucker factory basket

One of the first places I looked after running into the sale was the linens table. Everything on the linens table is just one dollar. Over the years I have bought over 50 large 19th century linen damask tablecloths, Hundreds of large 19th century linen damask napkins, satin fabrics, drapery treatments and lot’s more. This time as I approached the table a well dressed lady pick up and put down two satin, down feather filled duvets.




Some of the best things I have bought from the sale other people have handled and put down and I quickly picked up. As the woman put them down in just a few sec of examining them to make sure they did not smell or have stains or holes, I figured that they were a bargain at just a dollar each plus they will keep me warm in style this winter. One was salmon in color and the other burgundy


Vintage silk satin salmon color down filled duvet

Vintage silk satin burgundy color down filled duvet.
When I got up to check out with the duvets the owner of the sale unfolded them looking for a price” as something this fine would not be on the dollar table”. I quickly informed him that they were on the linens table making them a dollar each.



On the $5 dollar table I happen upon a large late 18th century English Creamware platter with cobalt blue edge. Although the platter has some damage, English Creamware pieces from this period are rare and very costly when found, they can cost more then fine porcelain like the Old Paris porcelain I collect. As I turned the platter other I discovered the piece was signed with a impressed mark “WOOD” on the back. The name rung a bell. The platter has a raised rope and feather motif in relief on the border edge that is painted with cobalt blue glaze.




After purchasing the platter and doing quick research I found a similar platter had recently sold on ebay for $980.00! WOW, I knew my platter was good but I did not know that pieces of this size in good condition was going for that kinda money in this economy. After research I was eager to have my platter restored. Pottery is much easer to restore then porcelain as the paste of porcelain is usually white were as pottery has a mix of colors on the surface. A $50.00 repair to this piece would being the value about half of what the ebay platter sold for.



Creamware pieces decorated in the manner of my platter are known as “Feather edge Creamware”. The factory that made this platter was Enoch Wood’s family. They tuck the lead as Earthenware manufactures during the last 25 years of the 18th century. In Staffordshire a area known for pottery in England. This factory was one of the largest exporters of earthenware to the United States of America in the late 18th century early 19th century.


                                          
                               Late 18th century English Enoch Wood Feather edge Creamware platter



                           Late 18th century English Enoch Wood Feather edge Creamware platter. Displayed                                                  on my 1820's Baltimore fancy painted pier table.



Detail of a raised rope and feather motif in relief on the border edge that is painted with cobalt blue glaze

a raised rope and feather motif in relief on the border edge that is painted with cobalt blue glaze



I bought a mid 19th century American Limon gilt molded frame for 10 bucks. It also filt perfect a 19th century European “Old Master” painting I bought at the same sale a year earlier.  
  

The 19th century European “Old Master” painting I bought at the same sale a year earlier was reframed with a new cherry frame. I nice frame but not in keeping with the painting. The American lemon gilt frame looks a lot better   


A Early Victorian 1840's American needlepoint Berlinwork wool floral rug


 A 1840’s needlepointed American Berlinwork wool floral rug I thought about buying. It was a very nice size and in ok condition to be over a hundred and fifty years old. Plus I can’t remember the last time I saw one for sell they are so rare nowadays. It was priced at $50. a steal as the rug is worth $1,200. or more but in this economy I have to pinch every penny and think about every purchase. Plus as this was Friday, regular piece day. Saturday is 30% off, Sunday my favorite day is 60% off.



This piece just might make it to Sunday and I would get it less then. $50. dollars. Plus there was a few more items I wanted but would wait until Sunday to see if they were still there. One was a 18th century gold leaf French frame priced at $25.00. it still had a French price of 180 euros on the back a little over $200. In American money. The frame was nice but a little more banged up then I would like to pay $25.00 dollars for it . I also wanted a beautiful book titled “Jane Austen’s Town & Country, priced at $15.00 as this is my favorite period in English, furniture, Decorative arts, Architecture and style. The book had beautiful photo’s of Georgian interiors. Check in on part two of this post to see if I get the pieces on 60% off day

4 comments:

  1. That raised rope and feather motif in relief on the border edge of the Enoch Wood platter is brilliant. I haven't seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen, I love the raised rope and feather motif also. I have always wanted a piece of English 18th century feather edge creamware but the stuff can cost a lot more then fine porcelain because it is so rare. I was happy to get this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have found some wonderful, fun and great priced pieces. I love those Old Paris looking baskets, stands. I buy them all the time and love using them for fresh floral arrangements. Keep up the good work. Happy Thanksgiving. Richard from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LACEY BAGHARD EXERCISE MAY BE YOU SHOULD BUY YOUR OWN TOILET

    ReplyDelete