Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Old Paris porcelain Cafe' au Lait Cups & Saucers from my collection

My usual Cafe' au Lait  setup. 1850's Old Paris porcelain Cafe' au Lait  cup and saucer and a 1850's dessert plate. Late 18th English Shakespeare engraving background. English mid 19th century Rococo Revival silver coffee pot and creamer.

I have collected Old Paris porcelain Cafe' au Lait cups and saucers over the years. I use my collection as the French intended them for the first meal of the day "petit déjeuner". Every morning I start my day with a large porcelain cup of hot New Orleans style Cafe' au Lait and some type of sweet. The French would typically have a rich crispy Croissant with a nice bowl of Cafe' au Lait. Paris porcelain Cafe' au Lait cups were made throughout the 19th century being replaced at the late 19th century with the still popular Cafe' au Lait bowls. They were made in every style from Classical, Rococo on to Neo-Grec and Art Nouveau. My collection dates to the early part of the 19th century thru the mid 19th century when Paris porcelain Cafe' au Lait cups were at there height as presentation gifts here in America.




My finest Paris porcelain Cafe' au Lait cup and saucer set is period Empire and is dated 1812. When I bought this set in a Paris antique shop I thought it was a mourning piece but the shop owner told me that it was a presentation piece. During the Empire period it was a fad to present to your wife a Cafe' au Lait cup with your newborn baby painted on the front.

Detail of baby


Large mid 19th century Rococo Revival Cafe' au Lait cup


Large mid 19th century Rococo Revival Cafe' au Lait cup


Pair of mid 19th century Rococo Revival Cafe' au Lait cups one a portrait cup and the other has for-get-me-not


Large mid 19th century Rococo Revival Cafe' au Lait cup painter with forest scene


Early 19th century period Empire Cafe' au Lait cup & saucer painted with a exotic bird


Mid 19th century presentation Cafe' au Lait cup & saucer "To my pastor"

Mid 19th century presentation Cafe' au Lait cup & saucer "Love the giver"


Mid 19th century Rococo Revival Cafe' au Lait cup & saucer

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post.

    I suppose mid 19th century Rococo Revival Cafe' au Lait cups are a little bit fussy for modern tastes. But some of the portraits and landscapes on the side were superbly painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. Yes just about anything from the mid 19th century can be a little over the top.

    ReplyDelete