Saturday, May 19, 2012

Southern Belle

Belle taking shelter under a rare 18th century Early Louisiana cabriole leg table. 


Dogs have helped us in so many ways and expect little in return. They have hunted with us, kept vermin and pests away, served the military and police, assisted the disabled, and faithfully remained our loyal companions. In turn, we care for them and maintain a good quality of life for them. This is more than a fair trade. In fact, it is a downright bargain. Today is the one year anniversary of the love of my life leaving me. My beloved Belle,"Southern Belle" as my East Coast friends called her. It has been a long hard year for me. You don't realize it at the time of death but as the year go's by I realize that this is the first time in 15 years that Belle won't be here for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter my birthday, We shared the same birthday since I got her for my birthday 15 years ago from the shelter and did not know her birthday. 


Belle taking shelter under a rare 18th century Early Louisiana cabriole leg table. 

Belle taking shelter under a rare 18th century Early Louisiana cabriole leg table.
 


Belle was a very unusual dog in that she was completely devoted to me. Belle was not that interested in other people or other dogs. Over the years she learn to tolerate my friends that love her and there pets but she was happiest in my present and sad when I was not around.  My friends would do everything possible to cheer her up when I was not there, Belle would mope around and ignore them in a polite way. And jump to life the min I returned, jumping up and down, turning around for some time.

Belle and Bella a little dog I use to look after in Baltimore that had Belle's coloring  

Belle and Bella 

Belle and Bella 

It is said that dogs become indistinguishable from there owners in that they sometimes take nn the personalities of their owners. Belle was always referred to as a "Lady" by my friends. With all of the valuable fragile antiques I worked and live with I use to get asked a lot, Has Belle ever broken anything? The answer would be NO! I remember one time a piece of food or bone had fallen in the middle of breakable antique  porcelain and cut glass I had on the floor. Belle was very meticulous about how she gracefully maneuvered between the pieces to get the bone without touching the antiques.

Belle and Bella 


Belle was very smart! There were some pieces of furniture she was allowed on and others she was not. I had discovered that she was lounging on the furniture she was not suppose to be on, but only after I would leave the house. Belle seemed to since when I was returning because she was always up and by the door to greet me. One day I caught  her asleep upon my return on a piece of furniture she was not suppose to be on. 



Belle and Bella 



Belle and Bella 

Belle and Bella 




Belle was glued to my side always. She was one of those dogs that I could walk without a leash. When I lived in Baltimore and tuck her to a park every day she did not veer far from me. After having her for years I noticed that she followed me in every room I was in. It tuck me some time to notice because she would not follow right away but would wait a few moments and then enter what ever room I was in. Belle was a big 45lb lap dog. She was happiest on my lap. With her head, and paws hanging off.





Belle and Andrew during Christmas time in Baltimore 


Belle and Le Beau 

When Belle was around 4 I got another dog, Le Beau, He was a puppy. Every time I turned around Belle was attacking him the first few months he was around. I thought it was jealously on her side and would reprimand her. One day I was reading in bed when I saw Le Beau walk under her and bit her on her private parts. Belle almost bit his little head off. After seeing that I never reprimand her when the two of them got into it.

Belle and Andrew 



Companionship is perhaps the most universal and loving thing that dogs give us. Belle was always there for me from the good times and the bad one's like Hurricane Katrina. She was always there. It seamed like she could sense my mood and emotions. ... Examples of dogs seemingly picking up on our emotions are endless. I believe dogs come into our lives for a purpose.  I have always believed, people come into our lives
for a "reason, a season or a lifetime." I am sure the same is true for dogs. We do not pick them, they pick us. Or at least, they make us pick them. There is a reason, we end up with the pets, we end up with!



Belle studying Maryland antiques 


Belle was a very sociable dog. She loved to receive guest as well as entertain. Often times when I was invited to a party Belle was invited as well. Where ever I went she wanted to go also. She knew when I was getting dressed to go out and would become excited. When I could not take her she would look at me with her head cocked to the side with sad eyes that said take me with you. I had hope that one day we could live in France were dogs are more respected and are taken along on public transportation and to restaurants. That never happen. She did get a very nice dog collar from Paris.  Belle never begged for food but would sit quietly as I ate knowing when I was almost finished she would get a bite. Her favorite was fried chicken.

At a party in Baltimore surprisingly Belle jumped into the lap of this guy that looks like the guy in  "Seinfeld"
 


Belle just loved French tables 


It makes me think about how I got my Belle. She was a birthday present from my French boyfriend. A few days before my birthday we went to the shelter to see what kind of dogs they had. I remember it as if it was yesterday, I had a fresh starched perfumed handkerchief up to my nose because of the smell. Frederic picked out some old poodle that he thought I might like, but I knew that was not the dog for me. On the next row there was Belle or Bailey was her name then, very small and shaking.  I knew right then and there she was the dog for me, I was drawn to her right away. I was told that she had just come in that day and was scared of the place. I was told if we liked her we should adopt her right away so that she would not get use to the place. And that's just what we did. She did stay one night in the shelter to be fixed and we picked her up the next morning. We had amazing 15 years together, I love you and miss you, most beloved of dogs.



3 comments:

  1. So very sweet. I know how you feel; dogs make a place in our hearts that is like no other. We lost our last dog about four years ago. (Actually, he was really my wife's; they were together for most of his life, and I only knew José for about three years.) It was so sad when we had to let him go. And now we have Nicholas, who we love dearly. It's the most marvelous thing, loving and being loved by a dog....

    Thank you for sharing your lovely Belle. You two were so lucky to have had each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm terribly sorry that you've lost your friend. You two shared a remarkable relationship which is matchless. My Bertie is with me 24 hours each day, so, I know how close of a bond a human and a dog can share. Good thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Stephilius and Joseph, Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete