Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My love affair with Mobile's live oaks



Mobile got the name city under trees during WWll when planes were flying over Mobile and all they could see below were trees mostly live oak trees. Unfortunately in a 60 year period since WWll Mobile now has less then half of her live oaks due to hurricanes, disease & development. Today live oaks in Mobile are sacred and cherished. There roots brake up sidewalks causing you to trip if you are not always looking down and we still love them. They are living witnesses to Mobile's interesting time and history. Live oaks are my favorite trees they fit so well with the landscape and Old Southern architecture as most of them were here before anything was built. Most dating from 200 to 500 years old. The live oak is a evergreen remaining green and "live" throughout winter, when other oaks are dormant, leafless and "dead"-looking. Ancient massive Live oaks are all over Mobile even in newer parts of the city. I'm always amazed walking around and happening upon a great massive tree looking at it I imagine all of the events this living tree saw, who might have stopped under it for shade on a hot day 150 years ago.


 







One of Mobil's most famous live oak is The Duffie Oak on Caroline Street is believed to be Mobile's oldest living "resident" at 300 plus years of age. It is Located at 1127 Caroline Ave, Mobile, Ala.




The Duffie Oak on Caroline Street

The Duffie Oak on Caroline Street

One of Mobil's most famous live oak is The Duffie Oak on Caroline Street is believed to be Mobile's oldest living "resident" at 300 plus years of age. It is Located at 1127 Caroline Ave, Mobile, Ala.



The Duffie Oak on Caroline Street


One of Mobil's most famous live oak is The Duffie Oak on Caroline Street is believed to be Mobile's oldest living "resident" at 300 plus years of age. It is Located at 1127 Caroline Ave, Mobile, Ala.





















































5 comments:

  1. Thanks you so much for this beautiful post about your city and especially the Live Oaks. They are one of the many reasons I love the South so much. looks like Mobile has many and I am so glad you took the time to share. Richard at My Old Historic House

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, how fortuitous that I stumbled upon this post. I am a member of a utilitarian bicycle group in midtown Mobile and we've thought of doing an Oaks Tour bike ride. Would you be willing to assist in pointing out trees of significance? You can find the bike group Mobilians on Bikes at https://www.facebook.com/home.phpsk=group_120942041277691&ap=1 Thanks, NIk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found your post Nik, I will be in Mobile July 3-7th.

      Delete
  3. There's another giant one on Old Shell Rd. 5317 Old Shell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your post ... I will be winding my way through the south in early January and I'm creating my own tour of Southern Live Oaks to visit. I'm not sure how much time I'll have in Mobile but have put the Duffie Oak on my list!

    ReplyDelete