Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The month of March lineup

From my collection a period Empire porcelain vases with camellias from my garden. A 1760's French

Sèvres tea cup and saucer a dated 1853 American coin silver tea spoon made by Ball & Black of New York city for Washington Irving a famous American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century.And a French 18th century portrait miniature of a woman in a chemise a la reine dress made famous by French Queen Marie Antoinette. The portrait is painted on ivory in a gold frame dating from the 1780's.

Last month February went by so fast! I can't believe March is here. Do to February being a short month, having fun, Mardi Gras, parades just about every night. I did not get a chance to complete all of my post of last month, but that's alright we will get to them this month.




We still have a week more of Mardi Gras in Mobile until Fat Tuesday March 8th. This is the time of year that the inter child comes out of me. As I have been called a Old Soul by people around me since I was a young child. Most of my friend are 60-95 years old as I relate better with them then younger people my age. So I enjoy the inter child when it comes out!



I have a fascinating line up this month.


School band from the parade last night


Parade floats lined up after the parade aren't they amazing!!!




Parade floats lined up after the parade aren't they amazing!!!


Portrait of Alva Vanderbilt, c. 1885

Alva Vanderbilt, the Mobile girl that married a Millionaire

Joe Cain in Mobile ca. 1866 as "Slacabamorinico"

Joe Cain the man that revived Mardi Gras in Mobile after the Civil War

François Boucher, Madame de Pompadour, oil on canvas, 1750, Fogg Museum, Harvard University


I will take you on a visit to the lovely Fogg Museum located on Harvard University


The relationship of Count Axel von Fersen & Marie Antoinette


Joseph Désiré Court - Une Scène de déluge
Joseph Désiré Court is one of my favorite French Romantic artist! Although this is a tragic scene it is so beautifully and well painted that it has a romantic feel to it before you realize that this is also a scene of desperation masterfully depicted    

The French Romantic style

The 100 year old live oak tree frames the 1830's Greek Revival City Hospital

My love affaire with Mobile's Live oak trees



My favorite thing in Mobile, Alabama are it's massive century's old Live oak trees. They are living witnesses of Mobile's history. They frame the antebellum building well. Many are 600-300 years old and the ones that are a hundred years old are considered new!



Magnolia Cemetery was established in 1836 but this tomb stone dates from 1817 and is the oldest tomb I have found in the cemetery so far. Why does it predate the opening of the cemetery? Because the Victorians were a little different then people are today. Victorians were big on moving old graves. Older cemetery's were mostly overcrowded church or small plot spaces that were not a place living people wanted to stay long. Starting in the 1830's America's cemetery's were becoming beautiful landscape pleasure garden where family's tuck strolls and picnicked on Sundays after church. Family members moved long passes love ones out of the overcrowded medieval looking places of rest to theses new oasis of Victorian carved marble monuments and greenery.


Magnolia Cemetery the  Père Lachaise of Mobile, Alabama


Actually we have two Père Lachaise type cemeteries here in Mobile. The real one called Catholic Cemetery was established in 1848 by Michael Portier, a native of Montbrison, France and the first Roman Catholic Bishop of Mobile. I have never been to it as it is in a very bad neighborhood. I grew up around Magnolia Cemetery and live down the street from it now and have a plot there. I have walked thru this lovely cemetery since I was age 9.  This cemetery is the resting place of 19th century Mobile's WASP community better known as White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. During Mobile's Golden period 1820-1860 many East Coasters Moved here in search of there fortune thru Slavery and the white gold of cotton. When looking at tombs in this cemetery most list the place of birth with many being from New York and Virginia.

We will tour the Antebellum homes in The De Tonti Square Historic District in Mobile, Alabama




From my collection 18th century Louisiana Louis XV cabriole leg tea table

Simplicity, elegance and class the early furniture of Louisiana

We will explore one of my great loves rare Early Louisiana Furniture! And how it closely related to French designs

From my collection 18th century Louisiana Louis XV cabriole leg tea table with a 1830's New Orleans made Biedermeier classical style mahogany chair. Many Germans emigrated to New Orleans in the early 19th century. By the 1820's & 30's Germans influenced Furniture styles in New Orleans.  



From my collection 18th century Louisiana Louis XV cabriole leg tea table with a pair of 1815 Classical chairs attributed to Duncan Phyfe

No comments:

Post a Comment